Thursday, November 6, 2014

Happy BIRTHday, Ainsley Drew!


The "bullet points" of the delivery day!

~ Woke up that morning feeling great. I had Parent-Teacher conferences at school that night (so did Jon), so it was my goal to make it through today. 

~ Jon calls me when he gets to school and informs me that he forgot his cell phone. If I need him, I have to call the office. 

~ I was craving a donut for breakfast. I stopped at Tim Hortons on the way to school, took the donut out, and realized it was the wrong kind. Marge's was in my view, so I stopped at donut shop number two to get the correct donut. :) Pregnancy cravings MUST be filled.

~ I got to school and prepared things for the day. 

~ 8:45 the kids arrive and we begin our day. I teach math, and we end a little earlier than normal. (around 9:45). I have the kids put their things away and get ready for computer lab at 10. 

~ And then around 9:50 it began. I knew within minutes that my water had broke. Thank goodness computer lab was next. I tell my students we are going to computer lab early. I send them on their way and tell them to get started on their weekly routine. That is the last I see of them before I leave. Not how I would've liked, but I was pretty much in slight panic mode. 

~ I motion for my teaching partner that I need help. ASAP. I inform her what happened, and then gather my things and call Jon. (Remind you, out of all days, he has forgotten his cell phone) I call the front office, and they find him. He calls me back. I tell him to go home and get his phone, then call and see where I am. I head toward the lounge while we figure out what to do. 

~ Within a matter of minutes, word has gotten out and my entire staff comes to find me and wish me luck. Quite comical I must add. :) I hide in the lounge while we figure out who is driving me and where I am headed.

~ Alycia Zwiers (my long term sub, and para pro at Bauer) is the lucky winner. We take my car. I decide I want to go home first, change my clothes and ride to the hospital with Jon. This whole time, I am surprisingly calm. Contractions had not started, so I wasn't too worried. I did however remove my shoes and socks in the car to speed up the process once I got home. :) 

~ We get home just seconds after Jon. He loads the car with our packed bags. I head inside to change my pants. Dumb. Little did I know, when your water breaks, it does not stop coming out. Changing was not an option. Back in the car I go. Poor Alycia drives Jon's truck back to work. 

~ Jon and I leave for the hospital. I am still calm. We both can't believe this is happening. We are about to become parents. Absolutely crazy feeling! I quick call my mom. She is shocked as well. She can't focus and leaves work. 

~ We get to the emergency room. At this point, I think contractions have started and I start getting nervous. The ER people moved at turtle speed. Oh my word! I'm starting to freak as I sit in the wheel chair and wait. 

~ While waiting, we realize we grabbed everything we needed EXCEPT the camera. Seriously?? Who forgets their camera when they are about to have a baby. Another phone call is made to my mom to bring us our camera. Jon also decided he needed McDonalds too ;)

~ What seemed like a lifetime later, a nurse comes and gets us and brings us to triage. They get me gowned up and in a bed. I am dilated to a one. A ONE. That's it! 

~ My mom... and sister... show up with our camera and Jon's McDonalds. I am still in triage. The nurses let them come see me for a hot second. We tell them it is going to be forever, and to head home. They however decide to wait it out at the hospital. 

~ Around noon, the nurses bring me to the labor and delivery room. We get settled in and soon after my doctor (Judy Florido) comes in to check me. She was the doctor on duty that week. I was thrilled to have her there. She checks me and I am still only dilated to a one. She tells me to walk laps around the halls and in the meantime she orders up some pitocin. I walk for a couple hours. Contractions were getting a bit worse. We found my mom and sis in the waiting room so we visited with them for a bit too. 

~ I head back into the room around 2:30pm to get checked. I am now dilated to a four. They decide to hold off on the pitocin and wanted me to continue walking. At this point contractions are starting to get much worse. I walk for about 15 minutes and then head back to the room to lay in bed for a bit. 

~ I was trying so hard to be brave, but shortly after getting back, I asked for the epidural. (around 3pm) I was scared to death for this part, but had a great nurse and anesthesiologist who helped me remain calm. They were wonderful! 

~ After an hour, Dr. Florido was back to check me. It's now 4pm and I am dilated to a NINE. No wonder the contractions were hurting. I went from a four to a nine in an hour. The nurses were shocked that I progressed that quickly. Especially with this being my first baby. Dr. Florido wants me to wait it out, until the baby gets lower, so the actually pushing time is much less. 

~ We wait... and wait... and wait... Finally around 6pm I start pushing. We will keep this part quick.. I push for a little over an hour before they make the call that it's time. 

~ Just minutes before, the doctors make their shift change. My doc goes home (sad day) and Dr. Stephanie Getz will be delivering our baby. 

~ What feels like a hundred people all of a sudden come into my room, and it's go time. Within a matter of ten minutes, at 7:12pm, our sweet Ainsley Drew joins this world. She weighed 6 pounds, 15 ounces and was 18.5 inches long. Perfect! Absolutely perfect! I was a sobbing basket case. I couldn't believe it. I was a MOM. It was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. 

~ Jon peeks out in the waiting room to tell my sis and parents that she is here. They still don't know her name. (I wanted to be the one to tell them) They impatiently wait over another hour as the doctors stitch me up. (We will leave those details out... you're welcome) ;) 

~ We then make a million phone calls to our family and friends to share the news. Some family comes up to visit, the rest wait until morning. 

Overall, I'm not gunna lie, labor was not that bad... even for me ;)

Such an incredible day! A day that I will never forget. I know it's only been a few weeks, but that day remains so vivid in my head. Hoping that is always the case... 



No comments:

Post a Comment